Hong Kong Heritage Building Stamps

/ / 967

Private Message
Advert #103


Main Building, University of Hong Kong (1912) ($1.30)

The Main Building of the University of Hong Kong is the oldest of the university’s structures. Construction began in 1910 and completed in 1912. The building is an imposing institutional structure, clearly intended to last. It is spacious, well-proportioned, supported by granite colonnades in the Renaissance style and surmounted by a tall clock tower and four turrets. There are four internal courtyards, two of which have palm trees over 9 meters tall. The original design of the building provided for a large extension which was constructed in 1952 in the original style. An extra floor was added in 1958. The exterior of the building was declared a monument on 15 June 1984.

Western Market (1906) ($2.50)

Western Market on Hong Kong Island consisted originally of two separate south and north blocks constructed in the same style but at different times and on different streets. The South Block was built in 1858 and demolished in 1980. The remaining North Block, smaller and more compact, was built in 1906. The building, consisting of two mam floors, was originally a market with accommodation provided for the inspector and coolies on the mezzanine floors constructed at the north and south ends. The north facade faces the waterfront. It has walls of red brick on a granite base, a large and handsome granite arch over its main entrance, and four corner towers highlighted in “bandaged” brickwork. The floors are of cement concrete and the roof is supported by cast-iron columns. The Western Market is now a commercial shopping centre. It was declared a monument on 29 June 1990.

Old Pathological Institute (1905) ($3.10)

Formerly known as the Bacteriological Institute, the building were built in 1905 at Caine Lane. They consisted of a main block and two subsidiary blocks. All buildings are of red brick, built in lime mortar and pointed externally in cement mortar. The mam building, except where lined with tiles, is plastered internally; the subsidiary buildings are pointed. The roofs are covered with double pan and roll tiling, on timber purlins and principals After World War II, the institute was renamed the Pathological Institute It was declared a monument on 29 June 1990 and is now the Museum of Medical Science.

Flagstaff House (1846) ($5)

Construction of the present Flagstaff House, known until early this century as Headquarters House, began in 1844 and was completed in 1846. Since then, it became the office and residence of the Commander British Forces until 1978, except for the Japanese occupation period 1941-45 when a succession of four Japanese admirals lived there. It was handed over to the Hong Kong Government in 1978 Headquarters House was re-named Flagstaff House around 1932. Extensive renovations had taken place over the years including replacing the iron verandahs by the present concrete structure. In view of its architectural significance, Flagstaff House was restored as far as possible to its 19th century appearance. In 1984, the building was opened as the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, It was declared a monument on 14 September 1989.

This set of stamps is printed in both Lithography and Intaglio, Intaglio is a traditional printing process, also known as line-engraving or recess-printing. In this process, the ink lies in the recesses and the paper is forced into them to take up the ink, hence the characteristic grooves and ridges on stamps printed by this method. To show the contrast between lithography and intaglio, the left hand side of the building of each stamp is printed in lithography, but the right hand side is printed in intaglio. To highlight the skills of the engraver, these stamps have been printed in mini-sheets of 10 with a selvage featuring the special architectural designs of the buildings. They are printed in intaglio.