No. 43 SQUADRON "Glory is the end"

Glory is the end RAF - Postmark Stamp cover

Contact Author
ToolBox

554 Views

0 Comments

Print this page

Add Favorites

No. 43 SQUADRON "Glory is the end"

No 43 Squadron – Royal Air Force – 34th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain

British RAF Stamp Collection special covers

Glory is the end

Flown During the Nato Exercise “Northern Merger” on patrol over the North Sea 150 miles east of scotland in a 43 Squadron phantom XV573 on 23 September, 1974.

Flight Time : 2 Hours 30 Minutes

Pilot : Flight Leutenant T.H.S. Nash ,RAF

Navigator : Flying Officer D.M. Terry, RAF

Western Front 1917-1918, Ypres 1917, Somme 1918, Dunkirk, Battle of Britain 1940, North Africa 1942-43, Anzio and Nettuno, France and Germany 1944.

The Squadron was formed at Stirling on 15th April 1916. It went to France as a fighter squadron in January 1917 to undertake patrols and reconnaissance over the Western Front. It re-equipped in September 1917 and for the remainder of the war flew fighter and ground attack operations. After a period with the occupation forces in Germany, No. 43 returned to England in September 1919 and disbanded on 31st December 1919.

The Squadron reformed as a fighter squadron at Henlow on 1st July 1925. It re-equipped in August 1926 with the Gloster Gamecock which inspired the Squadron badge and the Squadron’s traditional nickname, Trie Fighting Cocks. In 1927 No. 43 moved to Tangmcre where it remained Until the outbreak of World War II. During this period the Squadron was famous for its formation displays in which its aircraft decorated with the Squadron’s black and white chequers delighted the crowds at Hendon and other International Air Displays with their tied-together aerobatics. During the Second World War the Squadron was almost continually in action. It moved from Tangrnere to Northern England and in February 1940 to the North of Scotland for defensive duties, returning to Tangmere in June to lake part in the Battle of Britain. In September 1940 the Squadron went North again to re-equip and did not return until June 1942 when it Hew night intruder sorties over Northern France until September. At the end of October 1942 the Squadron left for North Africa and covered the landings from Gibraltar moving into Algeria only hours later. There it flew defensive patrols over the First Army and protected coastal shipping until May 1943. No. 43 next went to Malta to cover the landings in Sicily and began operations there in July 1943 moving in September to Italy and in July 1944 to Corsica to cover the landings in Southern France, arriving there in August. In October 1944 the Squadron returned to Italy to spe.id the remainder of the war engaged on fighter-bomber missions against enemy communications. After a period with the occupation forces in Austria the Squadron returned to Italy in September 1946 and disbanded on 16th May 1947.

On llth February 1949, No. 266 Squadron was renumbered No. 43 at Tangmere where the Squadron again operated in the fighter role until moving to Leuchars in October 1950. In June 1961 it went to Cyprus and in March 1963 to Aden to provide ground-attack support for the Army. In 1967 it was again disbanded. On 1st September 196″9 No. 43 reformed at Leuchars its present base as a Squadron in the Air Defence Force.

Aircraft
1916 Various types including B.E.2c, B.E.12, Avro 504, Bristol Scout, F.K.3; 1916-1917 Sopwith U-Strutter; 1917-1918 Sopwith Camel; 1918-1919 Sopwith Snipe; 1925-1926 Sopwith Snipe; 1926-1928 Gloster Gamecock 1; 1928-1931 A.W. Siskin 3a; 1931-1939 Hawker Fury 1; 1M9-1943 Hawker Hurricane 1, 2B, 2c; 1943-1947 Supermariae Spitfire 5c, 9c; 1949-1954 Gloster Meteor F4, F8; 1954-1967 Hawker Hunter Fl, F4, F6, FGA 9; 1969 to dale Phantom F.G.I.

Leave a Reply


7 + 1 =